The IBM® Rational® solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM) brings together requirements management, quality management, change and configuration management, project planning and tracking on a common unified platform. Productivity is enhanced with CLM by avoiding the pitfalls of working in silos which can often cause project delays, lower quality results and budget overruns. This integrated solution delivers more than the sum of its parts by offering in-context team collaboration, lifecycle traceability across disciplines, real-time planning and development intelligence for fact-based decision making.
The Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management is a set of seamlessly integrated tools that work together as one:
- Rational Team Concert™ (RTC) integrates task tracking, source control and agile planning with continuous builds and a configurable process to adapt to the way you work.
- Rational Quality Manager (RQM) delivers capabilities for test management including test planning, creation and execution, focusing on improving delivery time by coordinating activities and providing greater visibility across requirements, quality and change management.
- Rational Requirements Composer (RRC) delivers capabilities for capturing, managing and tracing requirements throughout the application development lifecycle.
Teams improve their time to delivery by managing the work of all team members, and where their tasks are directly linked to project execution.
Real-time planning improves time to delivery by:
- Providing a single plan that spans requirements, development, design and test efforts;
- Integrating planning with execution ensuring the plan always reflects the team's status;
- Inspiring full team participation in accurate planning;
- Providing teams the real-time data to respond to the unexpected
Improve quality by understanding the relationships between artifacts across all disciplines. Find and close traceability gaps to ensure full coverage across requirements, design, development and test. Lifecycle traceability delivers a level of transparency that enables everyone to make informed decisions based on business priorities.
Lifecycle traceability establishes relationships between software artifacts, and provides views for insightful decision-making. By relationships between artifacts, your team can answer the more interesting about project status. Lifecycle traceability improves quality by:
- Establishing relationships between software artifacts raising awareness across team members;
- Helping project managers identify and close artifact gaps across disciplines;
- Providing practitioners access to related artifacts so they can make fully informed decisions;
- Providing a clear view of completeness from requirement through release
Collaborate with your team members online, at any time, regardless of geographic location. By conducting online reviews & approvals, or capturing threaded discussions directly on an artifact, teams create a collective understanding of what is most important to their stakeholders. With link previews and feeds team members have information at their fingertips and the power to stay on top of current events.
In-context collaboration improves product value by:
- Making information immediately accessible to all team members in the context of their work;
- Empowering teams to collaborate on and review software development artifacts so they can incorporate feedback early and often;
- Providing single source of truth hosted in a shared repository so that team members can collaborate effectively around the globe
Continuous improvement is an ongoing effort by a team to optimize their performance. The key to successful continuous improvement is a solution that can not only provide incremental improvement as the team works, but also one that can facilitate break through improvement through automation and reuse of best practices.
Continuous improvement reduces cost by:
- Improving software delivery through the adoption of best practices and automation;
- Promoting incremental improvement of a project;
- Enabling breakthrough improvement through the use of automation to capture best practices and reuse across teams;
- Allowing everyone to participate with easily adopted best practices at your fingertips.
The ability to make fact based decisions is fundamental to steering a project to a successful conclusion. Dashboards and reports that surface team activity and trends from actual data provide powerful insight and transparency for making decisions. With the CLM solution all team members have access to the same data. Team members can use reports, dashboards, dashboard mashups, personal dashboards, or a mini dashboard along with a catalog of widgets for displaying a wide variety of information using out of box and custom reports and queries.
Development intelligence improves predictability by:
- Applying Business Intelligence techniques to development projects;
- Enabling fact based decisions making (to communicate status, monitor progress, diagnose problems, identify corrective actions);
- Providing transparency to help teams steer projects and programs to deliver on-time.